THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mormon Battalion Celebration

The Mormon Battalion center reopened with a big celebration. The new center is amazing and definitely a must see if visiting San Diego.
The kids had fun panning for gold,
pumping water out of the well,
and pulling up the bucket for more water.

Todd was able to go in and find his great-great-great-grandpa Philemon Merrill on the computer. Philemon was a member of the Mormon Battalion.
Kye was chosen to dress up as a soldier.
Hank's friend Sister Redd is serving a mission at the center. How cute is she?!

The kids enjoyed making their own old-fashioned dolls, bricks and toys. It is such a neat place. It really makes me appreciate all we have and all our ancestors have suffered on our behalf. It's amazing to hear how the Mormon Battalion never fought in a battle yet were able to do so many things that helped to shape Southern California and Utah, I geuss really the west in general.

5 comments:

Tasha said...

Wow, the new visitor's center looks AMAZING! I can't wait to go check it out!

brooke said...

Fun pictures Amber! I'm so bummed that we forgot that the opening was Saturday! I'll have to get down there this weekend.

Angie H. said...

That looks like such fun! I miss ya girl!

Lisa said...

It has been years since I went there. It looks like a lot of fun. I have an ancestor who was a part of the Mormon battalion.

Valerie said...

We miss the Battalion Museum. Looks like some fun new activities!